-->
skip to main | skip to sidebar

Saturday 9 August 2008

More Plots, More Misadventures

I've now been told that this second volume of my stories has made the 'best collection' shortlist for both the World Fantasy Award and the British Fantasy Award.

That's in addition to being one of the finalists in the International Horror Guild's awards.

I reckon that when I put the three nominations together, that's just as cheering as a win.

I won't be able to get to Calgary's World Fantasy Convention for the ceremony - I've got a lot happening at the end of October, which I'm sure I'll blab about in due course - but I'm lining up a mate to stand ready to accept on my behalf, should the occasion arise.

I'll have to supply him or her with a little speech. One of those strange little paragraphs that you know will look so pathetic in the aftermath of a non-win, but hey-ho.

Maybe all the losers at these events should get together in the bar afterwards and read each other's speeches for a laugh, while beating their fists on the tables and crying bitter tears into the Bombay Mix and peanuts.

My special thanks to Bill Schafer of Subterranean Press, who both suggested the collection and came up with its title.

2 comments:

Stan said...

Best of luck with the awards. If you do another volume of shorts would 'To Dance By The Light Of the Moon' be on the cards to be included? I really like the story and I think it'd also make a good translation to the screen - no chance of that, I suppose?

Stephen Gallagher said...

There was a plan to do it in the second Chiller season that never happened... I may even have a first draft of an adaptation lying around somewhere. When I run it in my head it's like a '70s John Carpenter movie, complete with a retro synth soundtrack.

If there's another collection there's a good chance To Dance will make it in, because they work best as a mixture of old and new material. The only thing that would hold up a third book is my current inability to sit down and write some more new stuff. Ideally you want some unpublished material in there with the reprints.

It's not that I wouldn't want to do it - it's purely a time-management thing. Traditionally I've written short fiction between bigger projects. They're done for pleasure rather than profit and I hope that shows. But right now everything's overlapping and there's no 'between'.